Tuesday, January 24, 2006
Should parents be licenced to have kids?
I love my children dearly - but I have days when I wonder if we shouldn't be licenced to be parents. Alternatively they should teach "How not to Strangle a Teenager Once Hormones Kick In" in ante-natal classes!
I always thought the generational gap between my parents and myself was unique - and because we are nearly 40 years apart in age. Then my daughter hit 14 and I realised that the generational gap seems to be a universal learning curve which each parent/child relationship needs to endure and overcome to grow and reach an appreciation of each other as a unique individual.
I understand - from the distance of hindsight that I was an awful teenager - bolchy, ungrateful, angry, frustrated - and of course, the universal 'misunderstood'!
Why is it then, when my daughter displays the same characteristics (what was that comment about apples and trees) that I find it myself so frustrated and 'unheard'. I think I understand now how much I must have frustrated my mother - bless her, she didn't kill me (I might well have).
It never ceases to amaze me how somethings in life seems to be universal. And as I say - should parents be licenced to have children. The damage we can inflict (without ever intending to) can be so vast. But as we aren't licenced - we muddle on as best we can. Anyone with suggestions on angry, hurt, blah blah blah 14 year old girls - I welcome your comments.
Anni
I love my children dearly - but I have days when I wonder if we shouldn't be licenced to be parents. Alternatively they should teach "How not to Strangle a Teenager Once Hormones Kick In" in ante-natal classes!
I always thought the generational gap between my parents and myself was unique - and because we are nearly 40 years apart in age. Then my daughter hit 14 and I realised that the generational gap seems to be a universal learning curve which each parent/child relationship needs to endure and overcome to grow and reach an appreciation of each other as a unique individual.
I understand - from the distance of hindsight that I was an awful teenager - bolchy, ungrateful, angry, frustrated - and of course, the universal 'misunderstood'!
Why is it then, when my daughter displays the same characteristics (what was that comment about apples and trees) that I find it myself so frustrated and 'unheard'. I think I understand now how much I must have frustrated my mother - bless her, she didn't kill me (I might well have).
It never ceases to amaze me how somethings in life seems to be universal. And as I say - should parents be licenced to have children. The damage we can inflict (without ever intending to) can be so vast. But as we aren't licenced - we muddle on as best we can. Anyone with suggestions on angry, hurt, blah blah blah 14 year old girls - I welcome your comments.
Anni